When Arthur guaranteed a loan for his daughter, he handed over his physical title deeds to the bank. He felt slightly worried about this, as the deeds were essential to historical research he was conducting and he wanted them back. To put his mind at rest, he sent a letter along with the deeds, asking for them to be returned to him eventually.

Arthur’s daughter repaid the loan and his guarantee was never called upon. But the bank did not return the deeds. Fearing they may have been shredded, Arthur contacted Seniors Rights Service. We advised him to write to the bank officer concerned and, if this did not resolve the situation, to follow up with a complaint to the bank’s complaints team and the Financial Ombudsman Service.

We also explained that he could contact NSW Land Registry Services to find out how much it would cost to get a copy of the deeds. If the original deeds had, in fact, been destroyed, he could ask the bank to pay the replacement costs.