What do I need to know about aged care services?

There are in-home aged care services to assist you to stay at home and residential aged care services if you can no longer remain at home. The type of services available to you depend on what is available in your local area, and how well resourced these services are. For more information, go to My Aged Care.

Since January 2019 Seniors Rights Service has participated in the Aged Care Systems Navigation trials. The Navigators provide information and personal assistance to people who do not have the knowledge, skills or resources to navigate the aged care system, and who need additional support to understand, choose and access age care services. Find out more here.

If you are caring for an older person at home, short-term respite care is available so you can have a break. For more information, go to My Aged Care.

The Commonwealth Government’s My Aged Care website and hotline provide comprehensive information on aged care. You can phone them on 1800 200 422, Monday to Friday 8.00am – 8.00pm and Saturday 8.00am to 2.00pm.

For questions about pensions and personal income contact a Centrelink Financial Information Service Officer. Phone 132 300 Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm.

For issues with social security rights, entitlements or obligations contact the Welfare Rights Centre on 1800 226 028.