What topics are covered at these sessions?
A large part of our community work involves forums on the abuse of older Australians, with particular focus on financial and psychological abuse by family members. Much of this work centres on raising awareness of this issue, reducing the stigma and shame around abuse and gaining trust so people are more likely to disclose abuse and know where to seek help.
We also work specifically to increase awareness of diversity and the needs of Indigenous Australians, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer and others (LGBTIQ+), as well as people who live in remote locations and other disadvantaged or vulnerable groups.
Our workshops affirm the rights of all people to be treated with dignity and respect.
Popular forum topics include:
- Planning ahead (wills, power of attorney, guardianship and advance care directives)
- Aged care advocacy – what does it mean?
- Retirement village living
- Strata issues
- General legal issues affecting older people – know your rights
- Seniors Rights Service – who we are and what we do
To book an information session, click here or contact us directly.